Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sponge Bob Birthday Cake

Making this kids birthday cake was by far the most fun I've had baking.  Incorporating tons of colors, toppers, and decorations really spurced up the cake and made it very themed.  I got a new cupcake tip (#5st) and it worked fabulous.  Piping the seaweed and coral was easy, I just used a opened fine tip.  I also used tip #21 for the ruffle/shell border.  I made the cake using two 8" round pans, and made 48 cupcakes on Friday after work.  I didn't have time to make my homemade cake batter  frosting, so I used Betty Crocker boxed cake mix, and Pillsbury Frosting.  I woke up early Saturday moring and starting dying the frosting and decorated the cake and cupcakes.  Here's a good tip: Tube frosting from the store is very runny.  Add about a cup of powder sugar to a tube of frosting and blend it well.  This will help with making the consistency of the frosting more firm, and it will not melt over.  Another tip is to refridgerate the cake & cupcake before transporting it in your car.  This will make the frosting on the cake more firm and prevent melting. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't see the pic :( I'm sure you did an amazing job though!

    ReplyDelete