Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Rainbow Cake

I made this Rainbow cake at Michael's cake decorating class.  Michael's offers a few course on cake decorating.  I spent $22 for Course 1 and it included 4 classes (2 hour classes once a week-duration is 4 weeks).  For just $22 bucks, why not take it, right?  The instructor pushed Wilton products to purchase at Michaels, however, I was able to find cheaper supplies (like pastry bags, tips, and pans) at a local restaurant supply store.

I expected to learn a lot, but I didn't.  The instructor let us decorate cakes in class and he answered all our questions.  He taught as a few technical things.  It was not an instructor led course as I expected it to be.  He just told us how to decorate the cake and watched over us, most of the time he was reading a book or texting.  If I ever end up taking Course 2, I'd look for a new instructor that is more resourceful and attentive.

I actually learn more on my own from watching Youtube videos, reading blogs, and researching for online recipes. I frequently visit Wilton's online forum and talk thread to read more about a specific question/idea/concern/issue I may have and usually find my answers there.

No comments:

Post a Comment